Friday, November 13, 2009

My bougainvillea got frozed up. Will it survive?

I live in SoCal and we had a hard freeze 2-3 months ago. My bougie is nearly 15 years old and has a trunk 3 inches in diameter. I trained it up to the second story balcony and it cascades over it. I cut off all dead blossoms and dead wood back to green wood. Sprouts are coming out from the base but I want it to sprout from the second story branches. Any idea wassup with my bougie?

My bougainvillea got frozed up. Will it survive?
The GOOD news is that you have green wood and sprouts coming out!!! So your Bougainvillea will make it!!! But not necessarily to the second story this year!!





Give it some water NOW!!! You should water regularly in the spring and moderately during the bloom season. Also give it some fertilizer (it needs some when the season begins --NOW-- and again in early summer).





I live in Northern California and lost two Bougainvilleas in the same freeze. I still have hope for a large Bougie that was planted against the back of my house (east facing). I am going to wait another week or two. If I don't see any sprouts, I WILL replace!!





Good Luck!!
Reply:I would water and fertilize it now. Give it the largest chance to get going. I sure hope that it returns to its former beauty.


No comments:

Post a Comment