Saturday, November 14, 2009

Why are my bougainvilleas losing their leaves?

I have a few bougainvillea's, planted at different times in different locations, and they are all losing their leaves. Why is this?


I live in S. Florida where it is pretty hot, but bougainvillea's like the heat. It has been raining a lot lately and I know they do not like a lot of water, but i wouldn't think that would make them lose their leaves. I also know that if you put them in shock, they will usually bloom.


Why are they losing their leaves and how can I make them regain them and also bloom?

Why are my bougainvilleas losing their leaves?
In zone 9 where I live our bougainvilleas always lose their leaves during our rainy season which runs from November until March. I wouldn't worry too much unless their roots are really getting flooded then I would provide better drainage. They don't like their roots sitting in water. We usually prune ours after the leaves drop, give them a taste of fertilizer and they come right back blooming prolifically.
Reply:Your Bougainvilleas are getting TOO much water!!! They are drowning!!! Dig a drain AWAY from your plants.





Good Luck!!


No comments:

Post a Comment